Getting the ‘Edge’ on Cultural Determinants
Getting the ‘edge’ on cultural determinants
We are revising this coaching option for 2022. Join our mailing list to stay up to date with our coaching options.
Please note our holiday break will be from 20 December 2021 – 28 January 2022. Coaching will continue as normal after the break.
There are six domains which are commonly understood to be contemporary cultural determinants of health. These have relevance not only for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, but for all Australians interested in achieving health outcomes and linking these achievements to healthy natural environments. Every month we will do a deep dive on a cultural determinant of health and wellbeing.
The cultural determinants and why they matter
Much of our language in working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people is framed in the deficit, with attention focused on problems such as family violence, adverse environments and an inability to parent. The cultural determinants of health originate from and promote a strengths-based perspective, which acknowledges that stronger connections to culture and Country build:
- stronger individual and collective identities;
- a sense of self-esteem;
- resilience; and
- improved outcomes across the other determinants of health such as education, economic stability and community safety.
We have been active in promoting that culture is the protective factor for our families, and we have the evidence to prove it.
What does the coaching program include?
We have developed an evidence-informed program during which time you will receive:
- Weekly coaching sessions to calibrate your mindset, skills and talents and move you to reach your goals
- Live training calls to get the ‘edge’ on implementing cultural determinants of health and wellbeing, enhance your cross-cultural skills, feel energised and overcome any fears or blocks to your success
- Resources that focus your attention on key elements of the cultural determinants of health and wellbeing
- Support to troubleshoot issues that impact your work
Here’s how the program will work
This is a live program. Once you sign up, you will receive the link to join our Zoom calls.
Other things you need to know
The online coaching program will be conducted on Zoom, which is free conferencing software that you can easily download on your PC, iPad or mobile phone. This format will allow you to comment and ask questions during the sessions, and enable us to give you the support, knowledge, tools and clarity you need. All sessions are recorded, so if you miss one you will be sent the recording to catch up.